Friday, March 18, 2011

We're not in Kansas anymore, Haise!


Haise is now in Richmond, Virginia at his new home for 10 months!  I flew to Kansas City, Missouri on Wednesday night and picked him up in Concordia, Kansas on Thursday morning.  We had a good 4 hour drive bonding time back to Kansas City, and then two hour and half plane rides to get to Richmond.  Haise is one calm dog and knows his manners!  He did so well during the driving and the flying.  He even slept through take-off and landing.

EVERYONE loves Haise!  I was stopped by so many people in the terminal.  Kids were flocking around, and he even got announced at my gate to Richmond.  The gate agent said, "We have a special guest traveling to Richmond today.  He's a service dog in training."  All the pilots and flight attendants loved him, too.  I even got special seating so I get a full row to myself.  Haise took advantage of that and sprawled out underneath the seat.

We got Haise home last night around 10:00 and played with him until way past my bedtime.  Brian and I are both very surprised about how much he already knows!   He did not have a single accident on the plane rides or in the Atlanta airport.  Before we went through security, I found a piece of grass and said, "Take a break." He knows to go to the bathroom on command!  He also sits and heels.  And one other big thing... He doesn't jump!  He has not yet jumped on our couches, kitchen counters, or people!  He tried to see if he could get on the couch, and we said, "four on floor".  Then he knows to stay down.  He is a biter.  He loves to bite my legs, but I just hand him a toy and he gets distracted.  He is one well behaved dog!

He's also HUGE.  His paws are incredibly big.  He will be one big dog.  We are taking him to the vet today to see what we need to do.  He eats just fine and seems to be adjusting well.  Last night, we put him the crate after cuddling with him.  He cried for about 5 minutes (felt like forever) and then he went to sleep.  I woke him up this morning at 4 am.  I wanted to give him a walk before my gym training at 5.  He walked very well by my side.

We are having so much fun with him already!  We are planning on taking him lots of places this weekend.  Check back for more pics!

Underneath my seat on the airplane from Kansas City to Atlanta
Asleep in the car, rolling down windows all the time!
Taking a nap before boarding the plane to Atlanta. 
I'll take two seats, please :)  
He likes to hold the leash while walking.
Good Boy!
Hiding underneath seats is his favorite place to sleep.
Home at last - Napping in the kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment